Monday, August 8, 2011

Winter Break Update :)

Hello dear friends!

Well I can certainly say it is different not having Internet readily
available or reliable! I am thankful for the little bit of slow speed
that we get!

I have had a crazy and exciting few weeks! Since we left the
homestead, we were unsure about what we would exactly be doing – but
we have started to get involved in some different things. Last week
the summer m’s left to go back to America. We were sad to see them go
– we are pretty fond of them! It was nice to have six people our age
here in Swaziland with us. We went to Manzini to say goodbye to them
and did a little grocery shopping since the big cities have a much
better selection than here in Tshaneni!

On Monday, Corine needed to go to the doctor in South Africa because
she had tick bite fever. This was our first time to leave Swaziland,
although we live right on the border to South Africa. We went to
Komatipoort and almost experienced culture shock! We saw so many
uhmlungus (white people) that  we were unsure of what to do! It was a
very nice day and I must say I would consider the highlight the fact
that we found Dr. Pepper and Reese’s Pieces at Spar! I had missed my
Dr. Pepper and was thankful to have a small comfort from home!

Wednesday was a fantastic day. We went out to work with Ian & Jenn who
are an older m* couple (self-supported) that work in the Vuvulane-ish
area. Their program is called CHIPS. There are many small communities
in the area in between cane fields and they do HIV/AIDS work which is
what we are really desiring to do. They own their own kombi (15
passenger van) so they can transport clients to the hospital in Siteki
or do testing in the kombi. We just rode along with them. Mary,  a
Swazi woman, is the phlebotomist. We went from community to community
testing people for HIV/AIDS, checking their CD4 levels, and visiting
the sick. While Mary was testing people we would get out and play with
the kids or sing songs with them. All of the kids are always expecting
emaswidi from  us (SWEETS!) so we usually take some out with us.
Though Mafucula was a rural area, these communities we were going to
Wednesday are the poorest ones we have seen.

That night we had a meeting with all the B*leaders in the Lobombo
region at Wayne & Barbara’s house. We had a fantastic dinner (always
look forward to Mrs. Barbara’s cooking!!) and then talked about our
plans for when the team from America comes, just so that everyone
knows what is going on. Bhekie stayed in Tshaneni with us and we did
language on Thursday. Any time we spend with Bhekie is fantastic – he
is always so encouraging and informative.

Friday I decided I determined to go to Mafucula to see our family
since it had been too long since we’d been to visit them. Corine had
to go somewhere so we didn’t have the vehicle to be able to drive
there and its about 30 minutes or more away from Tshaneni out in a
rural area. I was undeterred! I was so set on going that I took a
kombi which is our public transport. Kim wasn’t feeling well so I went
alone. Let me tell you – it was an EXPERIENCE!! Haha While waiting for
a kombi at the bus rank, I met a kid who was also going to Mafucula so
he was my little guide. I know that the Father brought him to talk to
me and boy am I thankful. I know that there is a kombi that goes right
to Mafucula but it doesn’t come often. But this boy said we could take
this gigantic bus…so I trusted him. Well, it took us to a bus stop on
the main road, then we walked to Vuvulane (which is probably a few
miles) and got a kombi to Mafucula there. It was just a funny day.
When I finally got to Mafucula I was so thankful! Kayise, my sister
and dear friend, was there waiting for me. I went around and greeted
my family and it was probably the best day I’ve had since I’ve been
here. Zodwa’s son Ngcebo, who used to be so afraid of us, ran up to me
and wanted me to hold him! He is so precious. Then, I went on a hunt
for Bongiswa! He was angry with me at first because I had been gone
too long – but he soon got over that and he showed me his schoolwork.
He got 100% on almost all of the worksheets he was showing me! He’s
such a clever boy :). Kayise and I laid around and talked for a while
because she said I needed to rest.

I spent all afternoon just hanging out with my family (and I got to
eat Make’s cooking. Yum!). I got to talk with one of the teachers from
the secondary school for a long time as well. Going out to Mafucula is
a fantastic practice for language! Kayise is always so excited when I
know what she’s saying! I would have to say that she’s my best friend
here in Swaziland.  Some women made fun of the way I walk (on my
tiptoes) and I knew exactly what they were saying! I just laughed.
When I went back to Tshaneni, I took a shower and the water running
off of me was brown! I was so dirty from walking on the dirt roads!
We have some plans to go on the kombi with the CHIPS next week before
the team gets here on Wednesday. When the team gets here we will be
with them most of the time!
Some ways you can be talking to the Father for us:

•    That He would lead us to know exactly what our place is here.
•    That we would meet some people to really pour into in the communities.
•    For Corine’s health and finances, as she is self-supported.
•    For my Uncle Rick in America – he had emergency back surgery on Friday.
•    That the team would have safe travel & that they would make a
lasting impact with their work here.

1 comment:

  1. haha, Dr. Pepper and walking on your tiptoes :)

    Love you and I'm talking to Dad about you right now.

    ReplyDelete